Get your PAYBACK
The Payback Challenge is NGPF's annual scholarship contest that gives students a chance to win a $2500 Grand Prize for their educational pursuits while developing an understanding of what college life will be like.
Read the contest rules and regulations at the bottom of the page on participation eligibility. If you are a FEE Grant recipient, there are entry minimums; see below for details. Submissions were due November 16, 2022.
The 2022 Payback Challenge has now ended. Thank you for your submissions!
How to enter:
Have Your Students Play PAYBACK in class or at home
Short on laptops in your classroom? PAYBACK is now mobile-friendly!
Do you have native Spanish speakers in your class? PAYBACK can also be played in Spanish!
Students Write a 250-Word Essay OR Create a 90-Second Video
Students should follow the necessary prompt and 2022 Submission Template. Refer to the Rules & Regulations.
Collect your Students' Responses and Nominate ONE Student Entry for the Payback Challenge Scholarship.
One Teacher = One submission.
Use the 2022 Submission Form to submit your top nomination! If you have more than one great essay, you can have any other teacher in your school submit it on your student's behalf. Please forward this opportunity to other high school teachers, too!
Watch our quick video to learn more about the contest
For more Paying for College activities, lessons, and resources, check out the Unit Page!
Over $70,000 in scholarships!
Scholarship winners will be announced in January 2023, not December 2022 as previously stated.
The following awards will be provided:
NATIONAL GRAND PRIZE
2 winners at $2,500 each. All entries are eligible.
45 winners at $1,000 each. Remaining entries are eligible.
FEE GRANT DISTRICTS
22 winners at $1,000 each (2 per district). FEE Grant districts eligible. See below for more details!
*CONTEST RULES & REGULATIONS:
- Submissions must be written or performed by a student CURRENTLY attending high school in grades 9 - 12 (public, private, charter or alternative) in the United States.
- Entries will ONLY be accepted from CURRENT teachers/educators.
- Each teacher/educator can ONLY nominate one student entry.
- No limit on the number of teachers/educators in a school or district that can participate.
- Essays must be no more than 250 words. Videos must be no longer than 90 seconds.
- Entries must be submitted online, using the 2022 Submission Template, by Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 11:59pm local time.
- Entries must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Entries must be written or performed by one person. Co-authored responses not accepted.
- Copyright of all entries will be assigned to NGPF.
- Teachers may not nominate a student that is also their family member.
ABOUT FEE GRANT RECIPIENTS
As part of NGPF’s commitment to equity, all school districts that have been awarded a Financial Empowerment & Equity (FEE) Grant will be included in a pool of applicants from their same district for 2 chances to win $1,000 Honorable Mention grants. These will only open after ALL applicants have been considered for the National Grand Prize Awards first. 15 submissions minimum will be required for FEE Grant Awards to be offered.
FEE GRANT DISTRICTS ARE:
- Denver Public Schools (CO)
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools (FL)
- Fulton County Schools (GA)
- Prince George's County Public Schools (MD)
- Detroit Public Schools Community District (MI)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (NC)
- Guilford County Schools (NC)
- Clark County School District (NV)
- New York City Public Schools (NY)
- School District of Philadelphia (PA)
- Milwaukee School District (WI)