Podcasts in the Classroom - Is the Housing Market in a Recession?
Podcasts in the Classroom is back! This week’s PITC uses a variety of shorter, readily available podcasts to discuss how housing costs have been impacted by the current economy. These recent headlines are aimed to inspire discussion.
Here are some 2-4 minute Marketplace podcasts discussing these headlines:
- 8/23 Marketplace Is housing in a recession or a reality check?
- 7/18 Marketplace Homebuilders’ confidence in housing market plummets
- 7/7 Marketplace Is the rental market slowing down? Maybe.
Here are some relevant Marketplace Minute podcasts.
- 9/1 Midday Report 30-year mortgage rates reach 5.66%.
- 8/30 Midday Report Housing prices rose in June but at a slower pace.
- 8/23 Closing Bell New home sales drop and median home prices rise again in July.
- 8/18 Midday Report Existing homes sales drop for the 6th straight month.
- 8/16 Closing Bell Housing starts fall in July (but Home Depot sales are up).
- 8/15 Closing Bell Homebuilders’ confidence drops, apartment building construction rises.
Determine how much time you want to devote to this activity, and select podcasts to provide students with background information.
Have students then tackle these discussion questions. This can be done individually, in groups, or as a class. You can also access ready-to-use slides here.
- What do you think has been driving housing prices up during the pandemic?
- How much have mortgage rates increased in the last year? How does this contribute to the affordability issue?
- What impact do you think these issues have had on the rental market?
If you use this assignment in your class, please let us know how it went!