Most Recent Newsletter
Here are NGPF, we could not be more excited about our plans for this fall. We have added new team members (read about them below), scheduled multiple FinCamps, and will be attending conferences from coast to coast until the end of the year. Oh, and let's not forget new product releases and our first research report about the state of financial education in the U.S. You will quickly see how our new additions to the team will be making immediate contributions.
Why the increased pace of activity? We feel the urgency everyday of striving towards our goal: to ensure that ALL students graduate from high school with the financial education they need to thrive in the future. It will take a community to make this happen, and we look forward to supporting your work going forward.
As always, if you have any ideas on how we can serve you better, please drop us an email!
Happy new school year!
The NGPF Team
Christian, Danielle, Jessica, Laura, Melissa, Sonia, and Tim
THE NGPF Blog provides you with TWO posts daily to keep you up-to-date on developments in the fast changing world of personal finance and to give you ideas on incorporating current events into your lessons.
Here's what's trending on the blog:
- Steal of the Century: Equifax Hacked
- Looking for more on this event? Check out this list of links from a popular blog with even more useful resources.
- Let's Pick A Side Hustle
- Infographic listing 25 "side hustles" which can make for an interesting classroom discussion.
- How to Set Up A Mock Career Fair in Your School
- The NGPF team participated in this event at Carlmont High School in Belmont, CA. Thanks for John Rowe for inviting us into the classroom.
- What's the Probability that You Will Live to 100?
- A lot higher than you might think...think of all that compounding interest!
- Looking to Help Those Impacted by Harvey (or Irma)? Be Sure to Do the Research!
- Unfortunately when tragedy strikes, the scammers are usually not far behind. Read this post to ensure your donations get to the right place.
We constantly hunt for new, engaging and informative videos that you can use to supplement your existing curriculum. Here are three recently added videos we uploaded to our Video Library:
We are always cranking out new content every month at NGPF. Here's what we added in the past month:
- Thousands of teachers have already reviewed our One Semester Course which we launched in August so we thought we would highlight it again!
- Check out our complete One Semester Course Map
- Be sure to watch the archived version of our August 8th webinar "(Re)introducing NGPF's One SemesterCourse" to learn more about this
- On the NGPF podcast, I had conversations with...
We'd like to welcome on board our newest members: Christian, Danielle and Melissa! Here's a little bit about them:
Christian joined NGPF from the worlds of classroom instruction, edtech sales, and customer success. He was a seventh grade science teacher for 3 years prior to joining Zeal Learning, where he managed school partnerships around the United States. He's focused on building a large grassroots movement of 10,000+ teachers in all 50 states using NGPF materials to drive gains for their students!
Danielle recently joined NGPF after graduating from the University of Maine. She helps with teacher engagement, as well as writing blog posts aimed towards the younger generations in hopes of piquing their interest in financial literacy. She believes the subject is an integral part of economic success, and that it should be taught at all educational institutions.
Melissa is a curriculum developer for NGPF. Currently she's focused on creating new materials for Middle School and Math teachers, which will hopefully help teachers integrate personal finance into their curriculum. She also helps run professional development, which has been a treat since she misses teaching in classrooms!
Here's what we have been up to on the professional development front since our last newsletter:
- We provided 27 hours of online PD to educators during our webinars: Paying for College Unit Sneak Peak and Intro to NGPF.
- We provided 130 hours of in-person PD across FinCamps and in-school professional development sessions in states across the country - from Tennessee to Mississippi, to California!
Thank you to all educators in the community who reach out to us with product ideas or resources that they want to share. Here are a few of the folks who helped make us, and the community, better this month by taking the time to share their valuable insights:
- Brian Johnson, Forest Hills Northern High School, Grand Rapids, MI
- Ben Peterson, Gresham High School, Gresham, OR
- Emily Beale, Farragut HIgh School, Farragut, TN
- Lois Stoll, Benjamin Logan High School, Bellefontaine, OH
- Marcia C. Lee, Baton Rouge Magnet High School, Baton Rouge, LA
Next Gen Personal Finance actively supports the financial literacy community through workshops, sponsorships of conferences and teacher professional development events. See below for a sample of our previous and upcoming events. Please stop by and say hello if you are at any of our upcoming events!
In 2016, we provided over $80,000 of financial support for teacher professional development. We are committed to tripling that in 2017, so if you organize or attend a workshop looking for sponsors, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming 2017 Events
- October 5-7, 2017: CEE's 2017 Annual National Conference (Brooklyn, NY)
- October 9, 2017: Virginia Jump$tart Conference (Richmond, VA)
- October 10, 2017: NGPF FinCamp: Iowa (West Des Moines, IA)
- October 13, 2017: Connecticut Jump$tart Conference (Rocky Hill, CT)
- October 13, 2017: Financial Beginnings Conference (Canby, OR)
- October 14, 2017: NGPF FinCamp: Oregon (Canby, OR)
- October 19-20, 2017: Montana Association for Career & Technical Education (Fairmont, MT)
- October 20-21, 2017: NGPF FinCamp: Montana (Fairmont, MT)
- October 27-29, 2017: California Business Education Association Conference (Anaheim, CA)
- November 3, 2017: NGPF FinCamp: D.C (Washington, D.C.)
- November 3-5, 2017: Jump$tart National Educators Conference (Washington, D.C.)
- September 15, 2017: Mississippi Business Education Association Conference 2017 (Jackson, MS)
- September 14, 2017: NGPF FinCamp: Nashville (Nashville, TN)
- August 3, 2017: Financial Education Boot Camp 2017 (Mays Landing, NJ)
- August 2, 2017: Financial Education Boot Camp 2017 (Branchburg, NJ)
- August 2, 2017: ALACTE Summer Conference 2017 (Birmingham, AL)
- July 31 - August 2, 2017: OATFACS Conference (Columbus, OH)
- July 26, 2017: Texas Financial Literacy Summit (Dallas, TX)
- July 24-27, 2017: VBEA Summer Conference (Virginia Beach, VA)
- July 16-19, 2017: NGPF Summer Institute Session 2 (Palo Alto, CA)
- June 28, 2017: Joint Summer Conference (Detroit, MI)
- June 26-30, 2017: Vermont Financial Literacy Summer Institute (Burlington, VT) sponsored by Next Gen Personal Finance
- June 25-28, 2017: NGPF Summer Institute Session 1 (Palo Alto, CA)
- June 25-28, 2017: AAFCS 108th Conference (Dallas, TX)
- June 21, 2017: Iowa Personal Financial Literacy Conference (Ankeny, IA)
- June 13-15, 2017: WACTE Conference (Riverton, WY)
- June 7-9, 2017: Tennessee Jump$tart Conference (Gatlinburg, TN)
- April 28, 2017: Fostering Financial Education in Maine Schools Conference (Augusta, ME)
- April 12, 2017: VISA 2017 Financial Literacy Summit (Chicago, IL)
- April 7, 2017: Massachusetts Business Educators Association (Natick, MA)
- March 10, 2017: NGPF FinCamp (Palo Alto, CA)
- January 25, 2017: Orange Public Schools Teacher Virtual PD (Orange, NJ)
- January 20, 2017: Business Education Resources Group (Sacramento, CA)
- January 20 -31, 2017: Mini Course Workshops at Castilleja School (Palo Alto, CA)
- January 9-11, 2017: Intersession Workshop at The Nueva School (San Mateo, CA)