Interactive: Reading a Pay Stub
This interactive helps students understand their paystubs. It's simple, engaging, and can be used in a wide variety of classrooms. Here are a few ways students will engage with the interactive:
- Drag and drop activity using common paystub items and abbreviations.
- Analyze and interpret pay stubs.
- Calculate various prompts using pay stubs.
Here are some discussion starters and activities you can use to follow up using the interactive:
- Why do you think businesses are responsible for subtracting payroll deductions instead of workers? [FinCap Friday: That's Gross!]
- Where do the tax dollars from your paystubs go? [Lesson: Taxes and Your Paystub]
- How do employers know how much to withhold in taxes from your paycheck? [Fine Print: W-4 Form]
About the Author
Making a difference in the lives of students through financial capability is Brian’s greatest passion. He comes to NGPF after fifteen years of public school teaching where he was the ‘11 Ohio Department of Education recipient of a Milken National Educator Award, the CEE Forbes Award winner, and a Money Magazine/CNN "Money Hero". He served on the working group for President Obama's Advisory Council on Financial Capability. He has private school experience as a Trustee for the Cincinnati Country Day School and was a past Ohio Jump$tart President. Brian holds a BBA and M.Ed. When Brian isn’t working alongside his NGPF teammates he is likely spending time with his wife, three children, and dog; hiking, or watching Ohio State football.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account