Career Interactive: How is the Way We Work Changing?
Stumbled across this interactive on Quartz that describes five trends changing the way we work (click to enlarge):
- Shifting capital investment: from tangible assets to intangibles
- The rise of data
- The talent economy
- Changing times, changing employees?
- Good-bye Nine-To-Five (rise of contingent workers)
With each chart/graph provided, students have an opportunity to interact with the data to learn facts like:
- Various roles with descriptions within the on-demand economy (e.g. independent contractor, moonlighter, etc.)
- Reasons why millenials change jobs
- Projections on the amount of data used by the year 2020 (hint: it will be a lot more than what we use in 2016!)
Perfect for your Careers Unit to help explain how the job market is changing!
Check out the NGPF Project on Creating A Career Road Map.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.