Four Interactives to Engage Your Students
Interactives are clearly popular resources in the classroom. Paired with each interactive are professional development opportunities for teachers to build their content knowledge.
Filing a FAFSA
College enrollment and FAFSA applications have plummeted, presumably because of Covid. Teachers are clearly encouraging students to file FAFSAs, and can use all the help they can get. The following interactive will help students see for themselves that they can likely afford college.
- Student Interactive: How Much Will Your College Actually Cost
- NEW PD! On-Demand Module: On Demand: FAFSA Basics
- Speaker Series event with college admissions expert David Peterson (Assistant Vice Provost, University of Cincinnati)
Amanda Volz created this teacher tip video for the interactive FICO Credit Scores, a post that remains widely popular.
Banking in the 21st Century
There has been an explosion of online and mobile banking during Covid, a trend that will likely continue; and we all know students love using their phones!
- Student Interactive: Navigate Your Online Bank Account
- NEW PD! On-Demand Module: Banking in the 21st Century
- Virtual PD: Signup for Brush Up: Checking for the 21st Century
Mutual Funds and Index Funds
Teachers rave about our game STAX as a way to introduce investing and the importance of investing in index funds. But, what is an index?
- Student Interactive: What’s the S&P 500?; awesome way to visualize the S&P 500, the index made up of 80% of the value of the stock market
- NEW PD! On-Demand Modules: : Mutual Funds & Index Funds and Mutual Funds & ETFs
- Virtual PD: Signup for Investing: Basics
Looking for more interactives? Check out the NGPF Interactive Library!
About the Author
Making a difference in the lives of students through financial capability is Brian’s greatest passion. He comes to NGPF after fifteen years of public school teaching where he was the ‘11 Ohio Department of Education recipient of a Milken National Educator Award, the CEE Forbes Award winner, and a Money Magazine/CNN "Money Hero". He served on the working group for President Obama's Advisory Council on Financial Capability. He has private school experience as a Trustee for the Cincinnati Country Day School and was a past Ohio Jump$tart President. Brian holds a BBA and M.Ed. When Brian isn’t working alongside his NGPF teammates he is likely spending time with his wife, three children, and dog; hiking, or watching Ohio State football.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account