Curriculum Updates: What happened to the Financial Pitfalls Unit?
Back in July, we announced that some major changes were coming to the Financial Pitfalls unit and promised to provide an update once they were made. Keep reading to find out more!
What does this mean?
1. Activities, Case Studies, and FinCap Fridays that were previously found on the Financial Pitfalls Unit Page can now be found on other unit pages! We moved these resources to the units that teachers told us they generally use them in. Roughly, resources that covered:
- Behaviors around Money → Moved to the Behavioral Economics Unit
- Predatory Lending → Moved to the Types of Credit Unit
- Identity Theft, Bankruptcy → Moved to the Managing Credit Unit
- Family, Friends, and Money → Moved to the Budgeting Unit
2. There were a handful of Activities that were RETIRED. These activities are still accessible in the NGPF Retired Resources Spreadsheet that is available at the bottom of this Teacher Toolkit page.
Please note that the NGPF Curriculum Team is no longer actively maintaining these documents.
3. Lessons from the Financial Pitfalls unit are currently unavailable on the website, but teacher favorite Activities, Case studies, and FinCap Fridays are!
We hope you enjoy using the new Behavioral Economics Unit and that finding your favorite Financial Pitfalls resources is easier than ever before!
About the Author
Sonia has always been passionate about instruction and improving students' learning experiences. She's come a long way since her days as a first grader, when she would "teach" music and read to her very attentive stuffed animals after school. Since then, she has taught students as a K-12 tutor, worked in several EdTech startups in the Bay Area, and completed her Ed.M in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. She is passionate about bringing the high quality personal finance content and instruction she wished she'd received in school to the next generation of students and educators. When she isn't crafting lesson guides or working with teachers, Sonia loves to spend her time singing, being outdoors, and adventuring with family and friends!
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account