NGPF Podcast: Dr. Nicole Huff on the relationship between financial and mental health
This week on the NGPF Podcast, Yanely is joined by Dr. Nichole Huff, the Assistant Extension Professor of Family Finance and Resource Management at the University of Kentucky. You will hear about Dr. Huff's numerous initiatives including the Moneywise program which promotes personal and family financial literacy in communities across the state. You will also learn more about how her background in Marriage and Family Therapy and in Family Sciences informs her work given the overlap between financial and mental health. Enjoy!
- 0:00~1:09 Introduction
- 1:09~10:50 Dr. Huff’s background and current work at the University of Kentucky
- 10:50~17:17 Increasing financial literacy during tough financial times
- 17:17~23:22 Using the right language when speaking about money
- 23:22~32:23 Overlap of financial health and mental health
- 32:23~32:51 A word from NGPF
- 32:51~39:44 Importance of culturally relevant education
- 39:44~40:45 Conclusion
“Let’s continue to broaden our horizons, let’s continue to challenge our biases, so that we can pave the way for the next generation of kids who can do, be, and know so much more than even me or you do.”
What's the psychology behind the money decisions we make? Check out the NGPF Behavioral Economics unit!