QoD: How many of the 12 largest companies in 2000 were still one of the largest 12 in 2018?
- Exxon Mobil went from #2 to #11
- Wal-Mart Stores went from #6 to #12
- Microsoft went from #7 to #3
- Johnson & Johnson went from #11 to #9
- Compare the list in 2000 to 2018. Write one sentence that describes how the economy has changed in the past 18 years based on changes in the largest companies. Which industries have grown the most?
- How many of the top 12 companies on the list in 2018 are you familiar with?
- How has the value of the three companies that appear on both the 2000 and 2018 lists changed over the 18 year period?
- How do you think this list will change over the next 10 years?
Looking for more investing resources? Be sure to check out the Investing Unit Page for lessons, projects and other activities to engage your students.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account