NGPF Launches One-Semester Course
I'm so proud of the NGPF team (Jessica, Sonia, Amanda, Laura, Ren, Sid and Niko) and the way they came together to achieve great things, namely launching our One-Semester Course, just in time for the school year. It was a marvel to witness the collaboration and choreography required to complete such a monumental task in such a short period of time. Kudos to this amazing team who kept their commitment to educators to deliver this curriculum in time for the 2017-18 school year.
NGPF's One-Semester Course is the culmination of three years of effort to determine what educators want in a personal finance curriculum. In the hundreds of conversations we have had with teachers, we kept hearing several recurrent themes. Educators told us they wanted lessons that were current ("the pace of change in financial services has quickened"), curated ("find me the best the web has to offer as I don't have time to search"), comprehensive ("I want to go to one website that has it all) and customizable ("please let me change the lesson to meet my students where they are"). Of course, they also wanted it to be free (it is!) and easy to implement in their classroom too. Several teachers on our webinar (archived here) earlier this week emailed us to let us know they couldn't wait to use the curriculum when their classes start......the next day!
Here's more details on the product:
View NGPF's entire Semester Course here! (Teaser alert: check out our new website while you're there!)
Here are the final units we're releasing this August morning:
Interested in hearing more about the Semester Course?
- Access our archived One-Semester Course Webinar where Jessica outlines the Semester Course in detail.
- If podcasts are more your style, tune in to hear "Tim Talks to... Jessica & Sonia about the One-Semester Course."
SEMESTER COURSE FAQs
- This course is designed as ninety 45-minute lessons for 18 weeks of instruction. We've selected the very best NGPF content for inclusion in an easy-to-follow sequence.
- Find the Semester Course details under the Curriculum Tab on our website. You'll also note we've released a new version of our website - enjoy!
- For assessments marked **Teacher Access Only**, teachers who would like access should email Laura from their school email account, and include their school’s name, city, and state.
- Looking for resources in Spanish? Semester Course Activities, Projects and Assessments have been translated into Spanish to support your English Language Learners. Open the English version and look for the "Spanish version" link in the top right-hand corner.
- Searching for ways to engage students in Investing? Try the Activity: ROLEPLAY: Sign up for a 401(k).
- We've provided you with multiple Assessment options, including:
- Diagnostic exam
- Final exam
- 10 unit tests
- 1-2 summative assessment options for each of the 10 units
- Final project
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account