Interactive Monday: What's the Unemployment Rate in Your County?
The Census Bureau puts out some great data visualizations on a county-by-county level here.
Here's the Employment Status visualization which measures Unemployment Rate here (click on map for interactivity):
- Study the legend to determine how the shading corresponds to the unemployment rate.
- What are 2-3 patterns you see when you look at the map of the United States?
- Are there specific states where you see that unemployment is extremely high or extremely low?
- Who are the biggest employers in your town/city/county? Do you see a lot of signs for "Help Wanted" in your area? What does that tell you about the employment situation?
- The national unemployment rate has ranged from 3.5% to 4.0% over the past 12 months. How does your county's unemployment rate compare to the national average?
- In your town or city, do you think the employment situation is improving or worsening? How can you tell?
Looking for more interactives? Be sure to check out the NGPF Interactive Library here! Here are some of the more popular interactives relating to careers:
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account