Question: How Much Cash Does Apple Have in the Bank?
Answer (from WSJ; subscription): About $250 billion!
A truly amazing stat that had to be shared. Here’s how it has grown over time:
Questions for students:
- Looking at the chart, what seems to be the milestone for the company that has led to Apple gushing cash?
- Where is most of the money held? US or foreign subsidiaries?
- Why not just return all the money back to the U.S.?
- What countries have a GDP of about $250 billion?
- What are Apple’s options on how they can use this stockpile?
- What does the growth in cash tell you about Apple’s competitive position and profitability?
- How much do investors care about this cash? Why would you care if you were an investor? When did Apple last issue a special dividend to investors?
- Apple has a record $250 billion in the bank (Ars Technica)
- Apple has over $250 billion in the bank (USA Today)