Podcast in the Classroom: Explaining the fall of the Silicon Valley Bank
Recent podcasts have been helpful in making sense of the "run on the bank" at Silicon Valley Bank. Jessica listened to this 16 minute podcast (with transcript), Can the Government Contain a Banking Crisis?, and created this listening guide that includes a variety of questions (multiple choice, open-ended response, picture drawing and more!) to check for understanding.
Here's a few shorter explainer segments from Marketplace and the Indicator:
- How Silicon Valley Bank failed (3 minutes) on Friday, 3/10
- What were the major causes of the bank's failure?
- How much insurance do depositor's have when they put their money in a bank with FDIC insurance?
- Silicon Valley Bank's three fatal flaws (9 minutes) on Monday, 3/13
- Why does one bank failure often lead to concerns about other failures to come (contagion)?
- What were SVB's three fatal flaws?
- What would having lots of deposits at a bank be considered "risky?"