NGPF Podcast: Adam Carroll on the perils of student debt
Thanks to Adam for participating in a recent NGPF Speaker Series event. If you google Adam Carroll, the autofill suggests "Adam Carroll finance," which is only appropriate given his expertise in this area, particularly finance for young adults. Adam is an author of four books, renowned speaker for high school and college audiences, and producer of documentary on student debt (Broke, Busted and Disgusted). In this podcast, Adam discusses the importance of educating young people about student debt BEFORE they make their college choices and strategies he recommends to capture their attention. Enjoy!
- 0:00~1:07 Introduction
- 1:07~12:34 Adam’s background and interest in student debt
- 12:34~18:37 Relationship to money growing up
- 18:37~23:46 What’s the message to students?
- 23:46~27:09 Common questions Adam receives from high school students
- 27:09~31:00 Where did the student debt crisis come from?
- 31:00~31:36 A word from NGPF
- 31:36~35:37 Educating young people about debt
- 35:37~37:57 Making debt real to students
- 37:57~42:33 Impact of COVID on higher education
- 42:33~47:14 Resources for the classroom
- 47:14~50:43 Thoughts on loan forgiveness
- 50:43~52:14 Updating the documentary
- 52:14~56:11 Conclusion
“I tell young people on college campuses all the time, you can have whatever you want in life, it’s all out there for you, but you can’t have it at 22. Someone will try and sell it to you at 22. And if you buy it at 22, you’re going to be paying for it at 32, 42, and 52. But if you wait, if you have a little bit of patience and you do the right things, you can achieve financial freedom in your 30s or 40s.”
- Ted Talk: The changing economic realities of college
- Mastery Of Money For Students
- US Debt Clock
- Scholarship Mastery
Check out the NGPF podcast archives here.