NGPF Podcast: Gary Mottola of FINRA Foundation on financial capability in the U.S.
What is the state of financial capability in the U.S.? Gary Mottola has the answers in this NGPF podcast!
The FiNRA Foundation is out with their National Financial Capability study, which they produce every three years. Gary Mottola leads FINRA's research efforts and shared the key insights from the study in this NGPF podcast. In addition, you will learn about how the pandemic impacted financial situations in the U.S., the limitations of data and Gary's dream research project. Enjoy!
- 0:00~1:53 Introduction
- 1:53~3:11 Early money lessons
- 3:11~5:05 Experience working at Vanguard
- 5:05~6:31 Transitioning to work at FINRA
- 6:31~7:39 Day in the life at FINRA
- 7:39~10:02 Definition of financial capability
- 10:02~13:28 Recommended resources for teachers
- 13:28~24:58 Financial situations pre and post COVID
- 24:58~25:22 A word from NGPF
- 25:22~28:57 Limitations of data from 2021
- 28:57~36:19 The rise of FinTech
- 36:19~39:25 Dream research project
- 39:25~42:35 Intersection of race and personal finance
- 42:35~43:50 Thoughts on crypto
- 43:50~45:17 Conclusion
“Collaborations are important. This topic is too important, no group is large enough or powerful enough to do it alone so we do have to pull our resources together to really try to move the dial here on financial knowledge in this country.”