NGPF Podcast: Ted Daniels on Building Financial Capability at HBCUs
Today on the NGPF podcast listen to the inspiring work of Ted Daniels, founder of the Society for Financial Education and Professional Development. His commitment to serve others and build financial capability through innovative programming makes this a podcast you don't want to miss. Ted also shares his secret on how to bust the myths and misconceptions about investing which helps increase participation rates in the stock market. Enjoy!
- 0:00~2:33 Introduction
- 2:33~3:29 Founding the Society for Financial Education and Professional Development
- 3:29~6:59 Early money lessons
- 6:59~10:36 Demystifying investing
- 10:36~11:56 Setting up student ambassador programs at HBCUs
- 11:56~15:13 Essential personal finance topics for college students
- 15:13~16:01 Social media, the internet, and investing
- 16:01~22:04 Explaining index funds
- 22:04~23:21 Hosting a conference for educators
- 23:21~26:39 Increasing access to financial knowledge for Black and Brown students
- 26:39~28:48 Future work with the SEC
- 28:48~30:43 Conclusion
- Society for Financial Education and Professional Development (SFE&PD)
- SFE&PD Student Ambassadors
- NGPF State of Financial Education Report
Check our over 300+ more conversations in the NGPF Podcast Archives.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account