NGPF Podcast: Tim Talks to Jenny Nicholson, Creator of College Simulation Game, PAYBACK
- 0:00~1:15 - Introduction
- 1:15~4:02 - Background
- 4:02~4:53 - How the social worker mindset has helped Jenny in her current role
- 4:53~6:37 - Elevator pitch for Payback
- 6:37~11:50 - Different factors the game measures
- 11:50~13:30 - What are the challenges that college students face today?
- 13:30~17:15 - How the college experience has changed in last 20 years
- 17:15~20:15 - Payback as a conversation starter
- 20:15~20:35 - A word from our sponsor, Next Gen Personal Finance
- 20:35~24:50 - Creative process
- 24:50~26:52 - Research that went into the game
- 26:52~29:07 - "Right amount" of student debt
- 29:07~30:03 - Goals of the game
- 30:03~35:02 - Advice for teachers on how to use Payback in the classroom
- 35:02~36:29 - Conclusion
- "It's not about the coolest thing I can do, but its about what can I do to connect with someone in a powerful, meaningful game."
- "With PAYBACK, students can make mistakes but make mistakes in a safe virtual environment so when they apply to colleges they have made mistakes the easy way and not the hard way."
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
SEARCH FOR CONTENT
Subscribe to the blog
Get Question of the Day, FinCap Friday, and the latest updates from NGPF in your inbox by subscribing today:
MOST POPULAR POSTS