Podcasts in the Classroom - The Tanking Market
This week’s PITC uses a variety of shorter, readily available podcasts to discuss how the global financial markets have been tanking. These recent headlines are aimed to inspire discussion.
Here are some 2-4 minute Marketplace podcasts discussing these headlines:
- 9/27 Marketplace As stocks flag and home prices dip, consumers spend less, and spend different
- 9/26 Marketplace Global markets are tanking because they see signs that the global economy is tanking
- 9/26 Marketplace Why investors are bailing on the UK
Here are some relevant Marketplace Minute podcasts:
- 9/29 Closing Bell Stocks lose ground today (erasing yesterday’s gains)
- 9/28 Closing Bell Stocks bounce back a bit as Bank of England moves to stabilize the market.
- 9/27 Closing Bell Stocks closed mixed, just like all other economic news today.
- 9/27 Morning Brief The Dow is officially in bear territory (down at least 20%), and Fed will hold firm regardless of market volatility.
- 9/26 Closing Bell Stocks close down today.
- (9/15-16, 9/20-23 Closing Bell all start with “stocks close down.”)
- 9/14 Morning Brief Stocks saw biggest losses on 9/13 since June 2020
Determine how much time you want to devote to this activity, and select podcasts to provide students with background information.
Have students then tackle these discussion questions. This can be done individually, in groups, or as a class. You can also access ready-to-use slides here.
- What current events are contributing to the tanking stock market?
- How are the prospects of higher interest rates affecting the stock market?
- If you are investing for the long term, would this market downturn influence your investment strategy? If so, in what way?