Question of the Day [Hispanic & Latinx Heritage Month]: What are the top 3 industries for Hispanic/Latinx-owned businesses?
About 375,000 U.S. businesses are Hispanic/Latinx-owned. What three industries make up most of them?
- Accommodation and food services
- Professional, scientific, and technical services
- What skills and qualifications are needed for a career in these fields? Are they applicable across all fields, or are some industry-specific?
- How would a person’s skills and qualifications need to be different to own a business in these fields rather than just being employed in them?
- What role does having mentorship in a specific industry play compared to someone starting a business with no experience?
Behind the numbers (US Census Bureau):
"Approximately 7% or 375 thousand businesses in the United States were Hispanic-owned in 2020. The top three sectors for Hispanic-owned businesses were: Roughly 16% Construction. These businesses had a total of 381,379 employees. About 13% Accommodation and food services. These businesses had a total of 50,231 employees. (Includes restaurants and food services.) Approximately 12% Professional, scientific, and technical services. These businesses had a total of 188,001 employees. (Includes accounting, engineering, architectural, veterinary services.)"
Check out more NGPF resources to celebrate Hispanic & Latinx Heritage Month!
To receive a Question of the Day in your email inbox, subscribe to the NGPF Blog.