4 steps educators can take today to implement Florida's newly required personal finance elective for fall 2019
A shift in Florida's education policy demands a quick turnaround for high schools
4 steps teachers can take today to lead their schools' adoption of the new law
1. Alert your schools' administration teams.
This is a WILD time of year for teachers and school administrators alike, so no one would be surprised if this last-minute shift got buried in the end-of-the-year madness. But teachers must demand that this crucial course doesn't get overlooked. If they haven't already, school administrators will take their districts' formal steps to list the course and register students for SY2019-20, all before this school year ends.
2. Share NGPF's teaching resources, and all your other favorites, with your colleagues.
Did you know NGPF has a hidden, Teachers Only referral feature where educators can invite their colleagues to join our site? Check it out here.
Why should you invite your colleagues to NGPF? As it currently stands, teachers with Math, Business, Social Studies, OR Economics certifications might now be asked to teach a personal finance section in your district. You can give them access to world-class curriculum and professional development for the course, all 100% free. You can be their (Fin)Hero!
3. Review NGPF's Semester Course with your department and administration team.
NGPF offers a FREE, fully scoped and sequenced, project-based semester curriculum that thousands of teachers in all 50 states use to engage their students and build financial capability.
4. Register for a personal finance professional development opportunity.
Get involved with "the best PD I have ever attended in my 26 year teaching career." Build confidence, hone your content expertise, and practice new pedagogical strategies with educators from around Florida, and the country.
NGPF has already scheduled lots of great PD opportunities in the coming months to help teachers ROCK this course:
- 5 FREE FinCamps throughout Florida for SY19-20. FinCamp is our celebrated 1-day professional development model: 30-50 teachers join together for a day of collaboration, content, and personal finance pedagogy.
- 3 FREE Webinars essential for NGPF beginners for Summer 2019. Our Semester Course is 90 complete lessons aligned to CPALMS, and we've got webinars on using Google Docs and Classrooms if you need to get up and running in a hurry.
- 18 FREE Virtual FinCamps for Summer 2019. All the magic of an in-person FinCamp in an interactive, virtual format. Each Virtual FinCamp has a specific content focus (Investing, Budgeting, etc.)
About the Author
Christian comes to NGPF from the world of classroom instruction, where he was a teacher for three years at a public middle school in El Sobrante, California. After leaving the classroom, he joined math tutoring company, Zeal Learning, to help grow their educator-facing sales and marketing efforts. He's no stranger to making a dollar stretch - while living in the Bay Area on his teacher salary he paid down over $40k in student loans in the span of 3 years. He's thrilled to share those lessons with teachers and students around the U.S.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account