NGPF FinLit Bill Tracker (week of 4/11/21)
UPDATE: the 2023 Financial Education Bill Tracker from Next Gen Personal Finance provides daily updates on which state legislatures have introduced financial education bills for grades K-12 throughout 2023.
The NGPF FinLit Bill Tracker updates you weekly on activity in state legislatures regarding bills focused on financial literacy education. Here's a summary of the 25 states that introduced bills in the first three months of the year.
Here's what happened last week:
- NGPF's Christian Sherrill provided testimony on April 6th to Hawaii House Education Committee on SCR152; Committee voted in favor of passage; recommending referral to the House Commitee on Consumer Protection
- Hawaii's SB1004 also progressing with last action: Passed Third Reading with none voting aye with reservations; none voting no (0) and none excused (0). Transmitted to Senate.
- NGPF's Yanely Espinal and Tim Ranzetta provided testimony on Rhode Island bills, SB139 and HB5491 on April 7th. and House Committee on Education recommended that HB5491 be held for further study.
- NGPF Fellow Vincent Branch testified on SB1063 in front of the Texas Senate Committee on Education on April 8th; currently pending in the committee
- Kansas House Bill 2039: Conference Committee Report was adopted; Yea: 72 Nay: 51 (April 9, 2021 in the House)
The week ahead:
- Connecticut's Bill SB1033 [AN ACT CONCERNING THE INCLUSION OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND FINANCIAL LITERACY AS PART OF THE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS] has been referred to Office of Legislative Research and Office of Fiscal Analysis 04/19/21 10:00 AM
- Illinois SB1556 which creates the Equity through Financial Literacy Task Force has hearing scheduled for April 15, 2021 at 8:30am.
- Rhode Island SB139 placed on Senate Calendar for 4/13/2021.