NGPF Podcast: Bill Butler is teaching kids about money through his Kachinga app
Bill Butler is a man on a mission. In this NGPF podcast, you will hear from a seasoned business executive who's using his talents to improve the financial capability of the next generation. His company, Kachinga, is an allowance, chore and savings app that teaches kids about money. Learn about the features of the app and Bill's plan for the future which includes incorporating more financial education. Enjoy!
- 0:00~0:48 Introduction
- 0:48~3:36 Journey to the position of CEO at Kachinga
- 3:36~5:46 Experience working at Experian
- 5:46~6:38 Biggest misconception about credit
- 6:38~9:24 Early money lessons
- 9:24~13:06 Deciding to join Kachinga and the company’s mission
- 13:06~15:13 Kachinga app’s features
- 15:13~17:53 Impact of the app
- 17:53~21:07 Educational resources available on Kachinga
- 21:07~21:35 A word from NGPF
- 21:35~22:39 The “parent match” feature
- 22:39~23:47 How Kachinga makes money
- 23:47~26:47 A week in the life of a CEO
- 26:47~29:05 Working on customer acquisition
- 29:05~32:21 Interactive learning opportunities
- 32:21~33:22 Conclusion
“We are definitely focused on financial literacy as the outcome. You can see some of the tools that we have built in the app already… When I look at other products on the market, they just track goals. What we are adding is data insights that can reinforce the learning.”
Your students can be app reviewers in this NGPF Activity: Online Tools and Apps.
Want to bring podcasts into the classroom? Check out this new product, Podcasts in the Classroom!
About the Authors
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
Ren has been working part-time at NGPF since 2014, interning through high school and college. With his knowledge growing alongside NGPF, after graduating from college in 2020, he joined the team to work full-time. He is also the producer of the NGPF podcast. During his free time, he likes to try out coffees from different roasters across the world.
SEARCH FOR CONTENT
Subscribe to the blog
Get Question of the Day, FinCap Friday, and the latest updates from NGPF in your inbox by subscribing today:
MOST POPULAR POSTS