NGPF Podcast: Dan Sheeks on his book First to a Million
Are you or someone you know a young person obsessed with making intelligent financial decisions? Then you or the person that you know might be a SheeksFreak!
Dan Sheeks, a high school educator and author of First to a Million, has built a community of people who are committed to reach early financial independence and live their best life. And he calls the members of the community SheeksFreaks. Dan comes onto the NGPF Podcast to talk about his book, his decision to write it, and his side hustles outside of teaching.
- 0:00~1:49 Introduction
- 1:49~3:12 Dan’s daily life
- 3:12~5:45 Transitioning to virtual school
- 5:45~7:30 Deciding to write a book
- 7:30~9:04 Who are the SheeksFreaks?
- 9:04~11:37 Synopsis of First to a Million
- 11:37~13:25 Topics students are interested in
- 13:25~16:36 Index funds vs. individual stocks
- 16:36~19:02 Favorite activities
- 19:02~20:49 Source of passion for financial education
- 20:49~22:32 The financial independence equation
- 22:32~24:14 FIRE movement during recessions
- 24:14~27:59 Structure of the workbook
- 27:59~31:26 The Why-FI
- 31:26~34:31 Topics young people need to know about
- 34:31~36:00 Engaging the parents
- 36:00~37:08 Decluttering and selling items
- 37:08~39:58 Recommended resources
- 39:58~44:45 Benefits of financial independence
- 44:45~45:26 Conclusion
- First to a Million
- First to a Million Workbook
- Richest Person in Babylon
- Dan’s First Appearance on the NGPF Podcast
- “I will never tell a teenager what they should do with their money -- I just educate them on different options and then based on you and your personal goals, which option do you think fits best for you."