NGPF Podcast: Nicolette DiMaggio on inspiring young investors through storytelling
How can you tell stories that help young people understand the stock market? Nicolette DiMaggio shares her answer to that question in this NGPF Podcast.
Equity researcher by day and author by night, Nicolette DiMaggio is on a mission to write stories to inspire the next generation of investors. In this NGPF Podcast, Nicolette discusses the motivation behind her book, Stock Explore, how she assembled a team to turn her idea into reality and the key concepts she hopes young people learn from her book. Enjoy!
- 0:00~1:15 Introduction
- 1:15~3:03 Current role at Willis Towers Watson
- 3:03~4:57 Attributes of successful active managers
- 4:57~8:39 Common behavioral biases
- 8:39~12:25 Interviewing CEOs
- 12:25~14:21 The current state of ESG investing
- 14:21~17:40 Deciding to write a book
- 17:40~20:58 Premise of the book and making investing relatable
- 20:58~23:17 Porter’s 5 Forces
- 23:17~24:07 The concept of Deep Moats
- 24:07~28:10 Crowdfunding on Kickstarter
- 28:10~28:29 A word from NGPF
- 28:29~33:13 Closing the gender gap in investing
- 33:13~34:16 Favorite pieces of feedback
- 34:16~35:31 How teachers can use the book
- 35:31~37:19 Regarding the next book
- 37:19~37:58 Writing blogs and comics
- 37:58~40:02 Key concepts students should know about
- 40:02~43:17 Using the books for high school students
- 43:17~45:00 Visiting students for story hours
- 45:00~45:56 A message to educators
- 45:56~46:42 Conclusion
Nicolette on Social
Kickstarter campaign: where it all started...
“I was like, ‘a seven-year-old just wants to win and every company wants to win.’ So it’s really that simple. You can easily explain the competitive dynamics, Porter’s Five Forces, to kids because kids understand sports and they understand competition.”
On the topic of investing, NGPF Arcade game STAX teaches students about index funds in an engaging way.