Question of the Day [Updated]: What is the maximum number of cells in a Google spreadsheet?
Answer: 5 million (up from 400,000 when this question was answered 4 years ago)
- Why do you think companies consider spreadsheet skills so important for their employees?
- What has been your experience with spreadsheets? What problems have you been able to solve using them?
- What are the advantages of using spreadsheets for calculations?
Behind the numbers (Gsuite):
Google Spreadsheets are extremely powerful and convert very well from Excel, but they do have some limitations:
- Up to 5 million cells for spreadsheets that are created in or converted to Google Sheets
- 40,000 new rows at a time
- Maximum number of columns of 18,278 columns
- Number of Tabs: 200 sheets per workbook
- GoogleFinance formulas: 1,000 GoogleFinance formulas
- ImportRange formulas: 50 cross-workbook reference formulas
- ImportData, ImportHtml, ImportFeed, or ImportXml formulas: 50 functions for external data
- Maximum string length is 50,000 characters
Looking for activities to build your students' spreadsheet skills? Go to tab 4 on this Math Resources spreadsheet.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account