Question of the Day: What's the #1 predictor of career success?
Answer: Having an open network
The more open your network the higher your relative performance.
- Describe the networks that you are currently part of.
- Do you think of yourself as open or closed when it comes to your various networks? Explain.
- The writer describes Steve Jobs (founder of Apple) as an example of how an open network can lead to incredible success. How is the iPhone an example of a product that benefited from Job's open network and his ability to draw from different fields?
- How can you create your own "open network" at your high school? How might you benefit from expanding your circle?
Behind the numbers (Forbes):
People in open networks have unique challenges and opportunities. Because they’re part of multiple groups, they have unique relationships, experiences, and knowledge that other people in their groups don’t...
Why does it lead to success?
- More accurate view of the world
- Ability to control timing of information sharing
- Ability to serve as translator/connector between groups
- More breakthrough ideas