10 Ready-Made Sub Plans
Wondering what to leave the substitute when you are away from the classroom? Read on for 10 ideas that will keep your students engaged!
Having a ready-made sub plan is a lifesaver when you have to take an unexpected day (or two!) away from the classroom. We’ve created a list of lessons, resources, interactives, and activities that are easy to implement and could potentially be used at any point in your course.
- NGPF created discussion questions for 20 personal finance movies. Students will answer questions while they watch the movie and then reflect afterward with questions that tie in personal finance concepts.
- The NGPF Arcade offers free online games that connect with a variety of personal finance topics. Use one for a fun sub plan by incorporating the Reflection Worksheet for your chosen game!
- NGPF has 8 mini-units on various topics such as Entrepreneurship, Ethics, Cryptocurrency and more! Select one of these bonus lessons as an easy-to-implement sub plan.
- The NGPF Semester Course lessons (along with the 9-Week & Middle School Courses) are available in Nearpod. Even though you are absent, you can continue the learning by having students complete their next lesson asynchronously via Nearpod.
- Podcasts in the Classroom is a blog series that highlights personal finance podcast clips that can be used as teaching tools.
- Use Amanda Volz’s doodle worksheet for students to answer questions & doodle while they listen!
- This Million Bazillion podcast titled “What’s the deal with inflation?” is great for middle school students. Be sure to check out the “Money Talks” questions and additional resources available!
- NGPF has an Interactive Library that is filled with simulations, graphs, quizzes, and other online activities. Covering a variety of units, many of the interactives have a ready-made worksheet, making it a perfect supplement to your instruction or for a sub plan!
- Interactive Suggestion: INTERACTIVE: What’s the Most Common Job in Each State?
- Nearly every NGPF unit has a Case Study available which presents personal finance issues in the context of real-life situations. They're a great activity for students to complete while you are absent. You can then engage them in discussion when you return.
- NGPF has many CARTOON activities in each unit (here is a great example from the Managing Credit unit).
- Once students finish the CARTOON assignment, have them create their own cartoon or meme on the unit topic.
- The NGPF Career Unit includes Full Year Course lessons and activities to explore careers, prepare for a job, and set up for career success. If you do not already use this unit in your course, it would be a great sub plan. Here are some suggestions from this unit: