NGPF Podcast: Major Brian Retherford, Teaching Tomorrow's Leaders Important Money Lessons
Thanks to Major Brian Retherford, Economics Instructor at the USMA at West Point for participating in the recent NGPF podcast show. Hat tip to my friend Todd Eichler who had heard Brian speak and thought he would be a great guest (and he was right!). Brian brings a wealth of perspectives to the topic; from his own entrepreneurial instincts honed at an early age to his current role of filling the financial knowledge and behavioral gaps of the future Army officer corps.
Listen to this podcast to hear Major Retherford provide answers to the following questions:
* What happens when you give juniors studying at the service academies and ROTC participants an opportunity to take out a $36,000 loan?
* What are the key investment lessons that we should be teaching young people?
* What are the blind spots that you see in your students and how do you address them?
Show Notes (resources mentioned by Major Retherford):
- Yahoo Finance
- Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
- The Behavior Gap by Carl Richards
- NGPF Project: Build Your Portfolio (mentioned by Tim)
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account