NGPF Podcast: Tim Talks To Ron Lieber, "Your Money" Columnist at NY Times
Thank you to Ron Lieber, NY Times columnist for recently joining the NGPF Podcast show. Ron shares what he has learned in the process of writing over 700 personal finance columns and answers such questions as:
. What is the best method to teach personal finance?
. What anxiety are parents feeling when it comes to teaching their kids about money?
. What are good ways to teach teens about investing?
. How can young people and their families make better decisions about applying for and paying for college?
- 0:00~0:31 – Introduction
- 0:31~0:56 – Ron’s background
- 0:56~1:41 – Why Ron writes about personal finance
- 1:41~2:13 – Ron discusses what he considers his most impactful columns
- 2:13~4:11 – Discussing Ron’s column about students writing about money-related topics for their college essays
- 4:11~8:28 – Ron’s most popular columns in terms of comments and pageviews
- 8:28~10:56 – What Ron learned from his book tour about parental anxieties
- 10:56~14:21 – Teaching ‘values’ to students in a personal finance classroom
- 14:21~19:06 – Best ways to teach personal finance
- Reach out to Ron if you have a semester-long preparation for college course at your school!
- 19:06~24:16 – Factors that 18 year olds and their parents should consider in college selection process
- 24:32~27:53 – Ron’s college selection process
- 27:53~30:16 – How to incorporate the concept of risk into investing
- 30:16~31:54 – Stocks vs. Index Funds
- 31:54~32:44 – One app that helps organize one’s finances
- 32:44~33:32 – Closing
- Helaine Olen NGPF podcast referenced in podcast
- Ron Lieber NY Times columns referenced in podcast
- Keeping Up With the Jones example: Why You Might Go Bankrupt If Your Next-Door Neighbor Wins the Lottery
- NGPF Activity: How To Manage Money and Fit In On An Index Card
- The Opposite of Spoiled (Ron Lieber’s recent book)