Chart of the Week: What Is The Future Of Employment?
From Visual Capitalist:
Questions for students:
- Describe how the chart is organized. How did they decide how to arrange the various jobs?
- How would you describe the types of jobs that are likely to be automated?
- If the researchers are correct, which jobs are likely to be the most common in our automated future?
- Which jobs are least likely to be automated? What are the attributes of those jobs that make the less likely to be automated?
- Are there any surprises in this chart?
- What jobs do you envision will be CREATED by automation?
- Does this impact how you think about a career you might pursue in the future?
Interested in how automation is going to affect the job market in the future? Check out this Planet Money interactive that allows users to input a job they are interested in and find out the probability of that job being automated.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account