Infographic of the Week: How Municipal Bonds Helped Build the Nation
A nice cross-curricular opportunity to fuse history and personal finance. Bonds can be a tricky topic for educators but if you just think of them as IOUs and municipal bonds as money that government entities borrow for infrastructure then suddenly they become more tangible. Click the image to go directly to the infographic.
- What was the first public project funded by municipal bonds?
- What are three large infrastructure projects funded by municipal bonds?
- What impact did the tax code exception granted in 1913 have on the popularity of municipal bonds?
- How were municipal bonds used in 2009-10 to help the U.S. get out of the Great Recession?
- What percentage of infrastructure projects today are funded through municipal bonds?
Extend beyond this infographic with this NGPF PROJECT: Should Municipal Bonds Fund Stadiums?
Want more infographics to engage your students? We have printable infographics from Visual Capitalist here.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account