Question of the Day: What percent of 13-17 year olds have a debit card?
- Do you have a debit card?
- If so, when did you get it and what purchases do you use it for?
- If not, when do you plan to get one?
- Does it surprise you that twice as many 13-17 year olds have a debit card compared to a credit card?
- Which account is a debit card typically attached to?
- What’s the difference between a debit card and a credit card?
Behind the numbers (Creditcards.com):
About a fifth of teenagers ages 13-17 (19 percent) hold a credit card as an authorized user on a parent’s or guardian’s account. Even more Gen Zers are getting accustomed to using plastic, with 40 percent having their own debit card.
Here's an activity (Project:Payment Decisions) to get your students to think about the different ways they can pay for things and the pros/cons of each.