NGPF Podcast: Aleta Smith discusses the importance of financial education for foster youth
Aleta Smith has an incredible story of grit and determination to share in this NGPF podcast. She describes the money lessons she learned from her grandmother, the ambitious savings goals she set to pay for college and how she is giving back in her current role at Excite Credit Union. You will be inspired!
- 0:00~1:05 Introduction
- 1:05~7:04 Aleta’s background
- 7:04~11:27 From learning how to save to opening a secured credit card
- 11:27~13:57 Attending community college
- 13:57~14:25 A word from NGPF
- 14:25~15:37 Balancing a social life while being frugal
- 15:37~18:20 First job out of college
- 18:20~19:57 Approach to motivate students to think about money
- 19:57~20:58 Conclusion
“I didn’t focus on buying the latest version of phones and I didn’t really buy anything. People thought I was very cheap but that was fine and I was okay with that because I knew that I had an ultimate goal. As I started saving and saw the number grow, it motivated me to save more and more. Once I got started, it just became a part of what I did.”
We now have over 200 podcasts in our library here!