NGPF Podcast: Bill Thomason on bringing the world of investing to students of color
In this NGPF Podcast, Yanely speaks to Bill Thomason, founder of the Wall Street Wizards Academy -- an organization committed to educating students of color about basic banking, budgeting, investing, and money management. Bill speaks about his path from growing up in Detroit to becoming a portfolio manager, the impact he’s having on Black and Brown students through the Wall Street Wizards Academy, and explaining cryptocurrency to young adults.
- 0:00~1:00 Introduction
- 1:00~8:32 Path to getting to Wall Street
- 8:32~12:13 Founding Wall Street Wizards Academy
- 12:13~19:33 Exposing students of color to the world of investing
- 19:33~22:56 The impact Bill sees when students are exposed to investing
- 22:56~23:43 A word from NGPF
- 23:43~29:33 Cryptocurrency as an investment
- 29:33~34:34 Cryptocurrency conference for students
- 34:34~36:47 Where the Wall Street Wizards operate in
- 36:47~39:20 Exposing students to ESG investing
- 39:20~40:26 Conclusion
"What I wanted to do was provide a place where kids could learn in a structured, and most importantly, a safe and nurturing environment where they could learn about finance and investing."