NGPF Podcast: Christopher Rivas shares insights from his book, Brown Enough
You may know him as Oscar on the sitcom "Call Me Kat" but Christopher Rivas is so much more. Learn all about him in this NGPF Podcast with Yanely.
In honor of Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month, Yanely spoke with author, actor, podcast host, and storyteller Christopher Rivas - who you may know him from his role as Oscar on the FOX sitcom “Call Me Kat.” Christopher talks about what motivated him to write his new book Brown Enough; why he wants more kids and teens to learn about money; and how his identity as a half-Dominican and half-Columbian kid from Queens has shaped his work and life. He also shares excerpts from his book about student loan debt which he refers to as the Ameri-CON Dream.
- 0:00~2:22 Introduction
- 2:22~9:00 Christopher’s background
- 9:00~15:35 Identity and intersectionality
- 15:35~22:56 Early money lessons and the Ameri-con dream
- 22:56~27:20 The lack of information about paying for college
- 27:20~27:43 A word from NGPF
- 27:43~30:18 The burden of high college prices
- 30:18~36:01 Teaching paying for college in the classroom
- 36:01~38:41 Important personal finance topics to teach
- 38:41~40:12 Decision to pursue a career in acting
- 40:12~42:26 Ideas for Hispanic Heritage Month
- 42:26~43:05 Conclusion
- Christopher Rivas
- His book: Brown Enough: True Stories About Love, Violence, the Student Loan Crisis, Hollywood, Race, Familia, and Making It in America
“I am not anti-education (attending college). I am anti-the-lack-of-education-
Did you know NGPF has been doing podcasts before they were a thing? Check out all of the episodes since 2015 in the podcast library!