NGPF Podcast: Financial Therapist Dr. Bruce Ross Discusses Money and Relationships
Dr. Bruce Ross is an Assistant Professor at the University of Kentucky. He holds a Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Science with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy and a specialization in financial counseling and financial therapy practices. He is the President of the Financial Therapy Association and is an Accredited Financial Counselor. Enjoy as we discuss topics ranging from who should pay on the first date to how spouses should manage money together!
- 0:00~1:44 Introduction
- 1:44~3:09 What does a financial therapist do?
- 3:09~7:50 Motivation to become a financial therapist
- 7:50~12:23 The importance of personal finance education
- 12:23~14:50 Talking about finances with family members
- 14:50~18:16 Assigning students to talk about finances with family
- 18:16~20:19 Dating and finances
- 20:19~22:56 A word from NGPF
- 22:56~24:57 Financial red flags
- 24:57~27:27 What if your financial values differ?
- 27:27~29:13 What can put pressure on marriage?
- 29:13~31:00Should couples have the same bank account?
- 31:00~33:34 Lightning round
- 33:34~35:05 Conclusion
- Parent-Student Money Interview Assignment
- The Financial Therapy Association
- FinCap Friday: Romance & Finance
- Financial Therapy Education Videos Series
- Financial Therapy Certification
- Financial Therapy: Theory, Research, and Practice
- “So the classic spender versus saver. There is probably going to be tension. But any therapist will tell you arguments in a relationship are natural, they're actually good. They can get out grievances as long as the argument is done with good communication skills. So if we look at the spender and the saver, even though they are opposites, they could actually work very work together.”
About the Author
Making a difference in the lives of students through financial capability is Brian’s greatest passion. He comes to NGPF after fifteen years of public school teaching where he was the ‘11 Ohio Department of Education recipient of a Milken National Educator Award, the CEE Forbes Award winner, and a Money Magazine/CNN "Money Hero". He served on the working group for President Obama's Advisory Council on Financial Capability. He has private school experience as a Trustee for the Cincinnati Country Day School and was a past Ohio Jump$tart President. Brian holds a BBA and M.Ed. When Brian isn’t working alongside his NGPF teammates he is likely spending time with his wife, three children, and dog; hiking, or watching Ohio State football.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account