NGPF Podcast: Jaime Barajas helps first gen students navigate the college-going process
Want to learn more about the challenges facing first gen students as they make decisions about higher education?
As a Senior College Success Manager at the Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula (SF Bay Area), Jaime Barajas uses his own personal experiences to help his clients navigate the college-going process. Listen to this podcast to learn more about Jaime's approach, how he uses NGPF's Payback game and how he helps students overcome the myriad hurdles in their path. Enjoy!
- 0:00~2:13 Introduction
- 2:13~7:08 Personal experience applying and choosing a school as a first generation college student
- 7:08~14:34 How personal experience informs Jaime’s current work
- 14:34~21:35 Thinking about college as an investment
- 21:35~27:15 Setting up students for success
- 27:15~27:33 A word from NGPF
- 27:33~34:52 How the Summer Academy is set up
- 34:52~40:52 Playing Time for Payback with seniors
- 40:52~42:45 Major lessons to teach students about going to college
- 42:45~47:17 The hidden challenges of college
- 47:17~50:08 The adjustment to change
- 50:08~53:04 Common struggles of first-generation students
- 53:04~54:36 Conclusion
- Boys & Girls Club of the Peninsula: Future Grads
- College Track
- Time for Payback
- Transcription of the Speaker Series Event
“I identify as a Queer Chicano [so I consider] how that then shifts our ways of thinking and the ways in which we include students and make them feel welcome and give them access to the steps to adulthood.”
Check out NGPF's Paying for College Unit page for more lessons and activities on this important topic.
Mark Salisbury has made it his mission to increase transparency when it comes to college costs. Hear from Mark on this episode of the NGPF Podcast.