NGPF Podcast: Jeff York on what it took to become the millionaire custodian
In this NGPF podcast, we open with a conversation with Yanely about the current GameStop situation. It provides an amazing teaching moment regarding the differences between speculation and long-term investing. As for long-term investing, Jeff York, the millionaire custodian, is a case study in the power of patience, of compounding and having a long-term orientation. He shares with us how a personal finance course changed his life, how he invests and why he's passionate about advocating for financial education in schools. Enjoy!
- 0:00~0:21 Introduction
- 0:21~15:45 Current Events with MissBeHelpful: Until the Game Stops! [GameStop situation]
- 15:45~16:23 A word from NGPF: Certification Course Registrations are Currently Open!
- 16:23~31:16 This Week’s Guest: Jeff York, the millionaire custodian
- 17:37~20:42 Where Jeff works and his background
- 20:42~23:30 Learning about personal finance and investing in junior college
- 23:30~26:38 Starting to understand the 403b, his interest in investing, and advocating for low-cost options
- 26:38~29:12 On becoming a millionaire
- 29:12~29:58 How Jeff would engage students
- 29:58~31:16 The story of Ronald Reed (blog post with the Ronald Reed story)
- 31:16~32:38 Conclusion
- FinCap Friday: Until the Game Stops
- VPD: What’s Up With Gamestop?
- Teach and Retire Rich Podcast: Talking Teacher Retirement Saving Plans
“I took a personal finance class (in junior college) and a lightbulb just came on. For me that would be my social mobility, whether it is for marriage or college or a business, learning about personal finance was my pathway to social mobility.”
Learn more about the GameStop situation by joining Yanely and Tim this Monday (2/1) at 2pm PT for an NGPF virtual PD. Register here.