NGPF Podcast: Kerri Herrild discusses the Giving Project
It was awesome to catch up with NGPF Fellow Kerri Herrild of De Pere High School (Wisconsin) who discussed her Giving Project with us. Kerri shares her story on why this concept of "giving back" is so important to her. We go in-depth to learn how she brings philanthropy to her students in a tangible way. You will learn how her students react to this opportunity to research and donate to a cause that matters to them.
You will not only walk away inspired by Kerri but with a concrete set of resources so you can bring this Giving Project to your classroom.
- 0:00~1:28 Introduction
- 1:28~3:19 Kerri’s background
- 3:19~6:01 Tips on teaching personal finance in a socioeconomically diverse classroom
- 6:01~12:43 Passion for philanthropy
- 12:43~20:21 How the giving project works
- 20:21~22:39 Types of organizations students concentrate on
- 22:39~23:26 A word from NGPF
- 23:26~30:40 How the project works, continued
- 30:40~36:05 Favorite stories
- 36:05~38:31 Finding a funding source
- 38:31~42:45 Getting admin approval
- 42:45~46:41 Allowing students to critically choose the organizations
- 46:41~48:11 How long the project takes to implement
- 48:11~49:13 Parent and community feedback
- 49:13~51:21 The true value of the project
- 51:21~52:51 Conclusion
“I think you’re teaching one of those life lessons that will be there with them [the students] and it’s going to come full circle and they’re going to remember this and when they’re able, they’re going to want to give back because someone gave to them.”
Want to listen to more great guests on the NGPF Podcast? Here's the best podcasts from 2021.