NGPF Podcast: NGPF Fellows Joy Tavano, Kerri Herrild and James Redelsheimer on the transition to teaching remotely
After last week's podcast with Brian and Amanda, I reflected on the importance of having educators discuss this transformational change required to teach remotely. NGPF Fellows Joy, Kerri and James were kind enough to take me up on the offer to share their experiences. In this podcast, they share their teaching practices and routines for both synchronous and asynchronous learning, the creative methods for connecting with students and how they are thinking about assessments. Enjoy!
- 0:00~1:15 Introduction
- 1:15~5:13 The situation at their schools
- 5:13~8:57 How the teachers prepared for remote teaching
- 8:57~10:44 What is Screencastify?
- 10:44~14:21 How Joy uses her synchronous learning time
- 14:21~18:53 How Kerri administers class without synchronous learning
- 18:53~20:24 James’s plans for his synchronous learning periods
- 20:24~24:40 On creating a routine and maintaining questions
- 24:40~29:07 Thoughts on administering assessments
- 29:07~32:08 Helping special education students
- 32:08~33:48 Bridging the digital divide
- 33:48~37:58 Connecting with other educators during this time
- 37:58~39:36 Conclusion
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
SEARCH FOR CONTENT
Subscribe to the blog
Get Question of the Day, FinCap Friday, and the latest updates from NGPF in your inbox by subscribing today:
MOST POPULAR POSTS