NGPF Podcast: Paul Merriman discusses his new book, We're Talking Millions: 12 Simple Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement
Paul Merriman is out with a new book, We're Talking Millions, and he is offering at no cost to the personal finance community (link here). In this podcast, he discusses several of the ideas from the book that literally are million dollar decisions. We also dive deeper into the benefits of dollar-cost averaging, difference between growth and value stocks and what to look for in target-date funds (#1 selected fund for 401(k) plans). Enjoy!
- 0:00~0:27 Introduction
- 0:27~12:14 Current Events with MissBeHelpful: Are College Degrees Worth the Fees?
- 12:14~12:52 A word from NGPF: Certification Course Registrations are Currently Open!
- 12:52~13:51 This Week’s Guest: Paul Merriman, Author of We’re Talking Millions!
- 13:51~16:07 What We’re Talking Millions is about
- 16:07~21:23 The importance of investing in stocks
- 21:23~25:45 Market timing vs. dollar-cost averaging
- 25:45~34:02 Value stocks, growth stocks, and how young people should invest
- 34:02~40:19 What makes a good target-date fund?
- 40:19~41:26 Active versus passive investing
- 41:26~46:25 The importance of having confident teachers
- 46:25~48:01 Conclusion
- FinCap Friday: Are College Degrees Worth the Fees?
- Chart: Do College Graduates Make More Money Than High School Students?
- Book: We’re Talking Millions
- Paul Merriman Podcast
“It turns out that only about 10% of the actively managed funds do better than the benchmark itself, the index, over a 15 year period. Now, the problem is, no one’s been able to guess in advance who’s going to be better among the active managers.”
Wondering about this whole GameStop frenzy? Join NGPF for a virtual PD on Monday, February 8th to learn more.