NGPF Podcast: Örn Valdimarsson on the state of financial education in Iceland
After a successful career in finance, Örn Valdimarsson has made it his mission to improve financial education in his home country of Iceland. In this NGPF podcast, Orn describes what motivated him to teach, what topics he prioritizes in his classroom based on student interest as well as the bigger picture on the state of financial education in Iceland. What makes me think I have the best job on the planet is opportunities to meet people across the world like Orn who are kindred souls when it comes to believing in the power of financial education. Enjoy!
- 0:00~0:24 Introduction
- 0:24~6:21 Current Events with MissBeHelpful: Women of the S&P
- 6:21~6:59 A word from NGPF: Certification Course Registrations are Currently Open!
- 6:59~8:45 Introducing this week’s guest: Örn Valdimarsson
- 8:45~10:41 Working as a banker in Iceland and Saudi Arabia
- 10:41~12:08 Motivation to become a teacher
- 12:08~20:23 The state of financial education and the role of the ombudsman in Iceland
- 20:23~24:26 How financial literacy materials are produced in Iceland
- 24:26~30:28 Working on making personal finance a requirement
- 30:28~40:19 Important financial literacy topics
- 40:19~43:16 Did the Game Stop hype reach Iceland?
- 43:16~44:38 Conclusion
“To increase financial literacy in Iceland with the curriculum in mind, you have to produce good educational material that takes on knowledge, behavior, and attitude while creating a critical mind that gets people thinking.”