NGPF Podcast: Tim Talks to Alexis Poggio, a Hollywood High School Student
Alexis reached out to me via email a few weeks back and wanted to talk money. She had a high school research project that she was working on and had a few questions for me about financial education. Based on the depth of her questions and her resourcefulness in getting sources for her report (this was a first!), I had my own questions. Listen to the podcast to get answers to these and more:
- Why is she interested in personal finance?
- How did a personal finance course that she took her junior year make a difference?
- How did her research report help her in making decisions in her life, particularly her higher education plans?
- What were the biggest insights while she was doing her research?
- 0:00–1:26: Introduction
- 1:27–3:05: Alexis' senior project on financial literacy
- 3:06–5:21: Why Alexis chose this as her topic
- 5:22-7:17: Saver or Spender?
- 7:18-9:27: Lessons learned at Baja Fresh
- 9:27-10:43: Early money lessons
- 10:44-12:04 : What to include in the research report?
- 12:05-15:02: Talking to friends and co-workers about money
- 15:03-15:24: A word from our sponsor, Next Gen Personal Finance
- 15:25-17:26: Credit scores and credit cards
- 17:27-19:29: College plans
- 19:30-21:29: The teaching experience Alexis is getting in high school
- 21:30-23:11: How to make personal finance engaging for young people
- 23:12-25:43: Tips on landing that first job
- 25:45-26:55: Conclusion
- “Every kid should be taught this during high school...I feel that I would be more prepared after high school."
- "Didn't know how important it is to keep your credit score very high and how I can do that."
- "Making money isn't easy...hard to find a job without work experience."
- "...make it relevant to students' lives...not going straight to retirement."