NGPF Podcast: Tim Talks To Canada's Youngest Retirees Bryce Leung and Kristy Shen
What is Bryce Leung and Kristy Shen's claim to fame? This couple holds the Canadian record in for retiring at the ripe, young age of 31! A few years into their careers as engineers, they reconsidered their lifestyle and strategically saved more so they could "live the dream" and retire early. So what are they doing now? Fulfilling their dreams in lands less traveled while living off their nest egg. Oh and their blog, Millennial Revolution, is spreading like fire among the F.I.R.E. [Financial Independence Retire Early] Community [bad pun intended]. While early retirement for many may only be a dream, this couple's budgeting and investing tips that can help us all.
- 0:00–1:29 Introduction
- 1:30–2:28 Fulfilling dreams in lands less traveled
- 2:29–7:24 Retired at 31?! (It’s the beauty of the budget!)
- 7:25–12:52 Two factors that made them reconsider their lifestyle
- 12:53–15:04 Explaining how they’re not just throwing money at racehorses
- 15:05–17:41 The Millennial Revolution & one upping the Canadian Prime Minister
- 17:42–20:38 Breaking a world record!
- 20:39–24:51 Financial education in Canada
- 24:52–26:51 The great thing about co-ops is…
- 26:52–29:49 The F.I.R.E. Community
- 29:50–33:10 Travel hacks, anyone?
- 33:11–34:20 Biggest splurge in the last 30 days
- 34:21–34:58 A word from NGPF
- 34:59–43:51 Walking through their investing approach
- 43:52–50:06 Backup plans: Cash Cushion, Yield Shield, and country hopping
- 50:07–55:40 You’ve heard of homeschooling… what about World schooling?
- 55:41–58:20 Any surprises along the way?
- 58:21–1:00:57 Clearing up any confusion about retirement
- 1:00:58–1:04:39 Be cognizant of how much you’re spending
- 1:04:40–1:06:09 Conclusion
- Blog: The Millennial Revolution (150,000-180,000 views per month): A video of Kristy ranting about money is on the home page
- Investment Workshop
- The FIRE Community
- Frugalwoods podcast
- S&P 500, MCSI, XUS (TSX is the Canadian stock), and a bond index
- John Bogle and Vanguard
- Jim Collins (J.L. Collins) - on NGPF podcast here
- World Schooler
- 10 Ways World-Schooling Has Ruined My Childhood by Hannah Miller
- “5:30ish You don’t really have to be making the crazy high banker salaries to do this. You just have to be cognisant of how much you’re spending and save a certain percentage of your income consistently year in and year out.”
- “People will write in… and ask, ‘Is retiring with student debt normal?’ And I say, ‘No!’”
- “What I’ve found out [in retirement] is that the fear that makes us terrified to do anything… when you go out and look for those opportunities, it’s amazing and transformative.”
- “So many people can do this if they’re just pointed to in the right direction.”
- “If you figure money out, life is insanely easy. If you don’t figure money out, life is insanely hard.”
Top 5 NGPF Podcasts over last 12 months