NGPF Speaker Series: Ryan Craig and Eric Tyson Discuss Innovative Alternatives To College
- "Incredibly eye-opening session about alternatives to colleges."
- "With what I learned today, I will continue to push for alternatives so students will get more value out of their educational funds."
- "They were awesome and full of information and advice. I'm in WOW!"
- 0:00~3:26 Introductions
- 3:26~17:46 Eric Tyson talks about paying for college
- 17:46~29:28 Ryan Craig talks about alternatives for college
- 29:28~36:00 How modern-day apprenticeships are structured
- 36:00~39:41 State of financial aid during the pandemic
- 39:41~42:30 Negotiating financial aid offers
- 42:30~45:49 Modern college alternatives
- 45:49~48:16 COVID-19 and alternatives to college
- 48:16~52:56 Misconceptions surrounding financial aid
- 52:56~55:32 The two-faced role of community colleges
- 55:32~1:01:27 What higher education looks like in 5 years
- 1:01:27~1:03:28 On colleges and universities with low graduation rates
- 1:03:28~1:05:46 Tips for filling out the FAFSA
- 1:05:46~1:07:06 Earning college credits in high school
- 1:07:06~1:09:04 Potential influx of students enrolling in community college due to COVID-19
- 1:09:04~1:10:09 On for-profit institutions
- 1:10:09~1:11:37 Role of college counselors
- 1:11:37~1:11:47 Conclusion
- Personal Finance for Dummies by Eric Tyson
- Paying for College for Dummies by Eric Tyson
- A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College by Ryan Craig
- College Disrupted: The Great Unbundling Of Higher Education Starts Now by Ryan Craig (Book)
- The Great Unbundling Of Higher Education Starts Now by Ryan Craig (Article)
Register for upcoming Speaker Series events:
- July 31st at 8am PT: Honorable John Ninfo, retired bankruptcy judge and fierce advocate for financial education and Tammy Hettinger, Exec. Director of Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE) discuss their innovative program that teaches young people about the responsible use of credit and the consequences of credit card abuse.
- August 14th at 8am PT: Join us for a conversation with Sitara Nieves (E.D. of on-demand at Marketplace) and Jed Kim, host of the new podcast, Million Bazillion. “Million Bazillion” is a collaboration with “Brains On!” and is Marketplace’s first-ever podcast for kids. Host Jed Kim will answer the sometimes awkward, sometimes surprising questions kids have about money.
About the Authors
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
Ren has been working part-time at NGPF since 2014, interning through high school and college. With his knowledge growing alongside NGPF, after graduating from college in 2020, he joined the team to work full-time. He is also the producer of the NGPF podcast. During his free time, he likes to try out coffees from different roasters across the world.
SEARCH FOR CONTENT
Subscribe to the blog
Get Question of the Day, FinCap Friday, and the latest updates from NGPF in your inbox by subscribing today:
MOST POPULAR POSTS