NGPF Speaker Series: Ryan Craig and Eric Tyson Discuss Innovative Alternatives To College
- "Incredibly eye-opening session about alternatives to colleges."
- "With what I learned today, I will continue to push for alternatives so students will get more value out of their educational funds."
- "They were awesome and full of information and advice. I'm in WOW!"
- 0:00~3:26 Introductions
- 3:26~17:46 Eric Tyson talks about paying for college
- 17:46~29:28 Ryan Craig talks about alternatives for college
- 29:28~36:00 How modern-day apprenticeships are structured
- 36:00~39:41 State of financial aid during the pandemic
- 39:41~42:30 Negotiating financial aid offers
- 42:30~45:49 Modern college alternatives
- 45:49~48:16 COVID-19 and alternatives to college
- 48:16~52:56 Misconceptions surrounding financial aid
- 52:56~55:32 The two-faced role of community colleges
- 55:32~1:01:27 What higher education looks like in 5 years
- 1:01:27~1:03:28 On colleges and universities with low graduation rates
- 1:03:28~1:05:46 Tips for filling out the FAFSA
- 1:05:46~1:07:06 Earning college credits in high school
- 1:07:06~1:09:04 Potential influx of students enrolling in community college due to COVID-19
- 1:09:04~1:10:09 On for-profit institutions
- 1:10:09~1:11:37 Role of college counselors
- 1:11:37~1:11:47 Conclusion
- Personal Finance for Dummies by Eric Tyson
- Paying for College for Dummies by Eric Tyson
- A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College by Ryan Craig
- College Disrupted: The Great Unbundling Of Higher Education Starts Now by Ryan Craig (Book)
- The Great Unbundling Of Higher Education Starts Now by Ryan Craig (Article)
Register for upcoming Speaker Series events:
- July 31st at 8am PT: Honorable John Ninfo, retired bankruptcy judge and fierce advocate for financial education and Tammy Hettinger, Exec. Director of Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE) discuss their innovative program that teaches young people about the responsible use of credit and the consequences of credit card abuse.
- August 14th at 8am PT: Join us for a conversation with Sitara Nieves (E.D. of on-demand at Marketplace) and Jed Kim, host of the new podcast, Million Bazillion. “Million Bazillion” is a collaboration with “Brains On!” and is Marketplace’s first-ever podcast for kids. Host Jed Kim will answer the sometimes awkward, sometimes surprising questions kids have about money.