NGPF FinLit BillTracker as of June 1st
With the holiday week, there was less activity than in prior weeks. Here's a summary of where state legislatures stand today and details on the specific bills
Recall that 25 states + the District of Columbia introduced bills in 2021. Here's a tally of where we stand today:
- Bills that have passed state legislatures and signed into law: 3 (Arkansas, Hawaii and Nebraska)
- Bills passed by legislators and waiting on Governor's signature: 4 (Colorado, Nevada, Rhode Island, Texas)
- States that still have at least one bill that is active: 11 (California, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania)
- Bills passed by legislatures and vetoed by Governor: 1 (Kansas)
- Bills that died during legislative session: 7 (Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Oregon, South Carolina)
As you can see, 4 bills are awaiting the signature of the Governor which would represent a significant expansion of financial education in three of the four states. Colorado's bill directs their board of education to review the financial education standards being taught in the schools.
About the Author
Christian comes to NGPF from the world of classroom instruction, where he was a teacher for three years at a public middle school in El Sobrante, California. After leaving the classroom, he joined math tutoring company, Zeal Learning, to help grow their educator-facing sales and marketing efforts. He's no stranger to making a dollar stretch - while living in the Bay Area on his teacher salary he paid down over $40k in student loans in the span of 3 years. He's thrilled to share those lessons with teachers and students around the U.S.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account