Question of the Day: What is the most common career advice that adults give to current high school students?
- General advice: Follow your passion (33%)
- Specific advice: Enter a STEM-related field (34%)
- What career advice have you gotten from the adults in your life?
- What advice has had the biggest impact on you as you think about your future?
- Do you agree with the career advice about "following your passion?" Explain your answer.
- Why do you think so many adults recommend that young people pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)?
Behind the numbers (from Pew Research):
Americans tend to differ over the best career advice to give high school students, with younger adults urging them to follow their dreams and older Americans telling them they should enter occupations in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in May.
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account