Question of the Day: What's the average value of property taken during burglaries?
10 states with highest incidence of burglaries:
- What do you think are the items of value most frequently taken during a burglary?
- How can you protect against the possibility of your home/apartment being robbed?
- If your home is robbed and you don't have insurance, how can you recover your losses?
Behind the numbers (FBI):
Offense Analysis, Number and Percent Change, 2017–2018
- In 2018, the average dollar value per motor vehicle stolen in the U.S. was $8,407. The average dollar value of property taken during burglaries was $2,799; during robberies, $2,119; and during larceny-thefts, $1,153.
- By location, most burglaries (65.5 percent) occurred at residences. Most robbery offenses (36.3 percent) occurred on streets or highways.
Looking for more Questions of the Day? Check out our QoD Library!
About the Author
Tim's saving habits started at seven when a neighbor with a broken hip gave him a dog walking job. Her recovery, which took almost a year, resulted in Tim getting to know the bank tellers quite well (and accumulating a savings account balance of over $300!). His recent entrepreneurial adventures have included driving a shredding truck, analyzing executive compensation packages for Fortune 500 companies and helping families make better college financing decisions. After volunteering in 2010 to create and teach a personal finance program at Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto, Tim saw firsthand the impact of an engaging and activity-based curriculum, which inspired him to start a new non-profit, Next Gen Personal Finance.
To get access to NGPF answer keys, assessments, and teacher-only resources: create a FREE Teacher Account