NGPF Podcast: Tim Talks To Colin Ryan, Stand-Up Comic and Financial Educator
Thanks to Colin Ryan for participating in the recent NGPF podcast show. We ran into Colin recently at the JumpStart National Educator Conference where his keynote address was extremely well received. As you listen, pay attention to how he incorporates storytelling into his workshops and how you might emulate his models in your classroom. Colin’s workshops are not entirely about laughter..behind his comedic facade is a understanding of the role that individual motivation plays in translating financial knowledge into behaviors. His passion, keen observations and vast experience with student groups and educators (over 500 workshops and counting) make this a podcast not to be missed.
Listen to this podcast to hear Colin provide answers to the following questions:
* How did you come up with this idea of combining comedy with financial education?
* How should educators think about using storytelling in the context of financial education?
* What are the components of an engaging story?
* if you had one minute to make an impression on a high school student about the importance of financial literacy, what would you say?
Show Notes (resources mentioned by Colin during podcast):
- Colin Ryan’s Twitter account (from introduction): Tweeted Mark Twain quote mentioned in introduction
- Jerry Seinfeld’s Documentary: Colin talks about the lessons he learned from observing Seinfeld’s habits
- Derrick Rose Powerade Commercial
- Stanford Marshmallow Experiment (Wikipedia)
- Marshmallow Test Video
- The Power of Habit (book)
- Debt Free-U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships or Mooching off My Parents (book)
- Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Address
- Colin Ryan’s Website
- Type in your email address and get free eBook “How To Make Money Funny, Engaging and Empowering”