NGPF Podcast: Chris, Jill and Z discuss differentiation strategies for English Language Learners
What are the biggest challenges and successes that come with teaching personal finance to ELL students?
Yanely is joined by NGPF’s resident Spanish translator Chris Salm as well as two educators Z and Jill Thompson to talk about teaching personal finance to English Language Learners. The three will speak about the biggest challenges and successes with teaching the course to ELL students and share some differentiation strategies to use in the classroom. Enjoy!
- 0:00~0:41 Introduction
- 0:41~3:36 Z and Jill’s backgrounds
- 3:36~10:21 Challenges teaching ELL students personal finance
- 10:21~18:49 Successess teaching ELL students personal finance
- 18:49~29:42 Differentiation strategies
- 29:42~33:48 Go-to resources
- 33:48~35:26 Conclusion
- NGPF Spanish and ELL Directory
- NGPF Podcast: Teachers Talking Side Hustles: A Beekeeper, Etsy seller and speciality apparel retailer
- NGPF Advocacy Podcast: Christian Talks With Personal Finance Advocate, Jill Thompson
“In the context of teaching personal finance, really being able to allow students to recognize that [personal finance education] can be applied in real-time to their own individual situation; that quite honestly is like laying the foundation for success.” -Z
“If I can pull a student into an office area… and have them tell me a story and they know what I’m trying to test like the information I need to get from them, …their comprehension is high enough they can have that conversation with me because that’s where they’re at and we can get through them telling me what they know without having to do a paper pencil test.” -Jill